Saturday, September 8, 2012

Teachers Pay Teachers

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/
This is an interesting site: it allows teachers to upload lessons and other teaching ideas, and they can make them free or charge a fee to get them (many are in the $1 to $2 range, though at the time of posting, over 40,000 resources are totally free).

I do have a few thoughts about the site:
(1) It offers a weath of ideas for sharing - especially among the free resources but in some cases just by reading the descriptions of the paid resources
(2) There's no real quality control, so if you are interested in something, do your homework and look at free things that writer/teacher has produced before you purchase
(3) From a socio-political standpoint, I do have some concerns about how it both financializes and commodifies teaching and learning. I share this resource with some reservations about what it ultimately promotes in the profession - which is not exactly communities of professionals who share to help each other and students. By the same toke, I do appreciate that teachers who produce good materials want to be recognized and remunerated for their efforts.

Just as an example, I was quite impressed to find a free PowerPoint deck on the use of Agusto Boal's forum theater (something I've used in the past, but a little differently than the person who posted it).

I was interested in the degree to which equity-related classroom resources were available, and while there are some, I would definitely encourage people to "cast a broader net" in their quest for these things for alternatives (there are lots out there that I feel are more grounded in evidence and theory). I suspect this is true of many resources on TPT, since there is no real editing or quality control mechanism.

If you decide to participate in the site (as producer or consumer), do so thoughtfully, and consider the implications of your particiaption!!!!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment